March 8, 2021 Meeting Notes

Minutes for March 8, 2021 

NBN6   Zoom meeting 

5:30-7:00 p.m.  Meeting host Kelvin Knight – SENSC

Facilitator: Lisa Reagan

Minute Taker: Janis Hyland   

5:30 – 5:50      Opening and Crime Prevention Reports – Genesee, Central & Goodman Sections:

Goodman – Officer Brian Cannon 

  • Feb. 8-March 8, 2021.  Car beats 255 and 265 – 2 burglaries: 
  • Feb. 28 – 500 Block Linden daytime- between 8:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. broke in through front door or house; T.V. stolen
  • Feb. 12 – 900 block of S. Clinton 4:00 a.m.  – Commercial – stolen lottery tickets from gas station
  • 100 Block of Highland – Larcenies – at workplace (includes St. John’s)credit card stolen
  • Asbury Street – from 0-100 addresses – stolen package

Genesee Section – Officer Di Maria –263 car beat

  • 1 violent incident – street robbery 5th of March, 5:20 p.m. Elmwood Ave. toward Strong Hospital.  A group approached a 20 something individual, demanded items, pistol whipped individual, took iPhone from the individual and then got into a vehicle and drove away.  Victim reported the crime.  

Central Section – Officer Vinnie Agnone  2 incidents – car beat 229

  • 661 South Avenue – Time for Wine, wine and spirits – window smashed, 3:00 a.m in morning. Individual took spirits from store.  Canine officer investigated at Gregory Street.  Some of break-in captured on video, but may not be enough to identify person.
  • -March 1, 4:45 a.m. Convenience store on Mt. Hope – window broken, person climbed in.  Crime reported – Person was stopped on Ford Street with items found in individual’s bag.  Person was arrested.  
  • Follow up on Ashland Street – vacant property – Officer O’Hara followed up. 

Lt. Wilson – recommendations to Public Safety received.  Plan to make time at next meeting.  Put in agenda. 

5:50-6:00        Highland Park/Lilac Festival Update            

Mark Quinn, Douglas French, Monroe County Parks

Douglas French introduced himself.  Though new to Park’s Department he has worked for the County at the Board of Elections.  He came aboard last May.  Park Supervisor John Sanchez resigned and went into military.  Brad Hutton is the new Highland Park Supervisor and takes care of day to day activities – cleaning ice on skating rink (which has been great skating this winter); supervises cutting grass, condition of lilacs – has staff of 10 or so depending on the season.  He has been a supervisor at Ontario Beach Park.  

Mark Quinn and Chris Kirkmeyer  at both still at Highland Park – contact Mark Quinn in the future to schedule meetings when indoor meetings can resume.  

Lilac Festival 

 The lilacs are coming along nicely and should be on schedule for a May turn out.  Mark and Douglas cannot yet say what Lilac Festival might look like.  Still in negotiations with vendor.  They will take into account NYS guidelines for public events.

  • No specifics yet to report
  • Jeff Springutt has 3 different proposals perhaps for 3 different weekends.  Lilac Board is in discussions.  Could there be a wine and cheese tent?   Arts?  Music would be too hard to manage to keep within crowd limits.  Talks with County and City Attorneys. Doug has a conference call with the Lilac Board.
  • Neighbors asked if there would be a pre-festival meeting for neighbors as per other years.  Ans: Yes, if we have done it in the past
  • Parking/Crowd controls will be issues this year.

Mark reported on War on Terror Memorial – to be south of the Vietnam Veterans’ Memorial

$250,000 was not approved by NY State.  However, plans moving forward in talks with Adam Bello, Monroe County Executive.  Money will be coming.  Ribbon cutting proposed for 20th anniversary of September 11

  • Mark also reported that though there is NO SLEDDING in Highland Park, there were a lot of young people having fun.
  • The Lamberton Conservatory has been very busy.  They have to keep visitors to a minimum and on busy times have had to turn people away.  Best to visit during the week days.  300 people visited Sunday, March 4.  The new show, BULBS, goes in on March 26 – always popular.  
  • ice rink was great this year
  • Mark answered question about Adventure Zone – the tee-pee shaped structure will be re-built, the willows around the edge are growing up nicely.  Log(s) in parking lot are part of staging area for a new Adventure Zone for Northhampton Park. 

6:00-6:15        Rochester Housing Auth. Bond St. Redevelopment     

Jim Senger, Rochester Housing Authority Project Manager

Jim showed slides of current public housing structure and what it will look like after re-development.  The grouping will have peaked roofs and will have front porches.  The goal is for Public Housing to blend in with the neighborhood. It is currently a 5 unit row.  They are currently on 4th meeting with residents and neighbors and neighborhood groups to gather input.  

  • 4×4 South Wedge Planning Committee – Nov.13, 2020 met neighbors at Neighbor Works conference room.  Took thoughts and ideas and tried to incorporate them into a design. 
  • End product looks like 4 attached houses, actually an integrated row house with gable roofs, period windows and front porches.  One other existing structure will become a duplex.
  • 2 to 3 bedroom units will be accessible.  Gable roofs do not add living space. 
  • Question:  Will it be offered to the same residents?   Answer:  The current residents have Right Of First Return.  The 2 residents who have handicapped lifts on Bond Street could choose to go into the new accessible unit.  
  • The plan is reducing the number of units from 10 to 8 to make the theme work. 
  • Time table – hope to break ground this year.  Need approval from HUD, hopefully by summer, 2021.  90% of the design is ready. 
  • Code requires no more than 50% of lot for asphalt.  Parking to be expanded to 12 spaces from 9 originally.  They will need variance for lot coverage and driveway width.  It needs to be 22 feet and they are asking for 18 feet.  Drainage will be well designed.  
  • Zoning Board for variance request is March 18.  
  • 255 Hamilton Street will stay as it is for now. 
  • Jim would like to be invited to another meeting. 
  • Questions about RAD conversions (Rental Assistance Demonstration) Section 8 – Privately run.  This project is not RAD and do not expect this property to be a RAD.  

6:15-6:30       City Council Update     Council members Mary Lupien 

  • These are tense times.  City Council and Administration are looking at Executive Order 203 – Police Department reform.  
  • The group met with City of Rochester government.  Draft plan.  Initial comment period ended on March 4.  
  • Revisions to be shared March 15.  Council will hold two public sessions.  
  • There are many recommendations.  So far – no solid deadlines. 
  • Wayne Harris – Co-chair on policing RASE commission on race.  
  • survey was put out by administration.  Some feedback felt it was leading and biased.  Comments were used – comments were looked at carefully and categorized. 

The Governor’s orders state that meetings should be public, there were questions about the meetings that developed the recommendations.

  • Bottom Line – Community wants safety – How is safety accomplished?   As policing is re-imagined can jobs like traffic enforcement be off-loaded to a division not necessarily police?

Two Public Forums – March 17 and March 18, 5:30 – 7:30. Question: Is it a Zoom?  It is open for public dialogue?
 This is info provided by Mary Lupien about the public input dates for the public to respond to Council’s revisions to the policing reform plan.

  • Fri., 3/12Press Release created for Council’s Public Forum (Speak to Council set up)to notify public of purpose/options to submit comments process on Exec Order 203 and of date/time         Council has received the final draft of Exec Order 203 report with the public’s comments for additional review and additional public comment – legislation will be posted on Council website
  • Mon., 3/15Council Work Session (1), 4:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
  • Wed., 3/17, Council’s Public Forum (1), 5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. (compile comments on spreadsheet & distribute to Council by end of day on Fri., 3/19)
  • Thurs., 3/18Council’s Public Forum (2), 5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. (compile comments on spreadsheet & distribute to Council by end of day on Fri., 3/19)
  • Update – Goodman Sub-station – project as proposed will not go forward.  It was not clear if the proposal would meet the needs of the community.  
  • Money re-appropriated, 143 million from Federal Government to county.  
  • Mayor wants input about budget

6:30-6:40        Neighborhood Service Centers reports     

                        Kelvin Knight and James Demps III 

Erica Hernadez was hired as the new assistant administrator, joined a week ago Monday at South East Neighborhood Service Center.  

  • Rehab grants for those eligible available
  • Emergency funds available for failed hot water heaters and furnaces if completely no-functioning. 
  • There is no current information about the Annual Clean Sweep – perhaps not happening.
  • Erica Hernandez introduced herself – was 9 years with City of Rochester Department of Recreation and Youth Services; also worked on adult education and NE business development.  Now with Neighborhood Service Center

151 Mt Hope-

-Discussed 151 Mt. Hope Ave.  The city is proposing to sell the property to a private developer. had hoped it was to be an enhancement to Gateway Park.  

-Dock is going in but no parking or other amenities to support it.

-East river re-development – Roc the Riverway – (recreational uses planned 

but sparse plans for parking!)

6:40-6:50    350 Benton /South Clinton Environmental Remediation      

Judy Lee Hay, Swillburg   Site No.828103

  • Brownfield behind Salvatore’s Pizza, was the site of Diaburg Distributing a dry cleaners and a house at 350 Benton Street. The site was identified by the State as a brown field in need of remediation due to contamination. The State has done work, 1st phase Soil Vapor Extraction System –was installed to address potential indoor air contamination associated with soil vapor at the dry cleaners and 350 Benton. 
  • Phase two: took down dry cleaner bldg. and the house and removed 370 cu. ft. of contaminated soil. They installed a Multi-Phase Extraction system to treat contaminated soil and groundwater..  They also worked with the house next door to install s sub-slab depressurization system to address potential indoor air contamination of volatile organic compounds. They attempted to test ground water and air quality in 2011 and 2012.  At the time, people did not let them in to surrounding houses. 
  • Looking for comments by March 29  
  • Last chance to speak to remaining concerns
  • http://www.dec.ny.gov/data/DecDoc/828103

6:50-7:00        Community Sharing – Bruce Mellen

  • South Avenue and Elmwood – Community stakeholders meeting took place regarding the proposed design of the construction
  • HUD Action Plan – looking for feedback 
  • South Wedge Food Ministry is looking for another space, 3,000 to 4,000 sq. ft.  with a loading dock. They have outgrown their current space.  Contact: Katie Jo Suddaby <katiejosuddaby@gmail.com>

Minutes for March 8, 2021 

NBN6   Zoom meeting 

5:30-7:00 p.m.  Meeting host Kelvin Knight – SENSC

Facilitator: Lisa Reagan

Minute Taker: Janis Hyland   

5:30 – 5:50      Opening and Crime Prevention Reports – Genesee, Central & Goodman Sections:

Goodman – Officer Brian Cannon 

  • Feb. 8-March 8, 2021.  Car beats 255 and 265 – 2 burglaries: 
  • Feb. 28 – 500 Block Linden daytime- between 8:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. broke in through front door or house; T.V. stolen
  • Feb. 12 – 900 block of S. Clinton 4:00 a.m.  – Commercial – stolen lottery tickets from gas station
  • 100 Block of Highland – Larcenies – at workplace (includes St. John’s)credit card stolen
  • Asbury Street – from 0-100 addresses – stolen package

Genesee Section – Officer Di Maria –263 car beat

  • 1 violent incident – street robbery 5th of March, 5:20 p.m. Elmwood Ave. toward Strong Hospital.  A group approached a 20 something individual, demanded items, pistol whipped individual, took iPhone from the individual and then got into a vehicle and drove away.  Victim reported the crime.  

Central Section – Officer Vinnie Agnone  2 incidents – car beat 229

  • 661 South Avenue – Time for Wine, wine and spirits – window smashed, 3:00 a.m in morning. Individual took spirits from store.  Canine officer investigated at Gregory Street.  Some of break-in captured on video, but may not be enough to identify person.
  • -March 1, 4:45 a.m. Convenience store on Mt. Hope – window broken, person climbed in.  Crime reported – Person was stopped on Ford Street with items found in individual’s bag.  Person was arrested.  
  • Follow up on Ashland Street – vacant property – Officer O’Hara followed up. 

Lt. Wilson – recommendations to Public Safety received.  Plan to make time at next meeting.  Put in agenda. 

5:50-6:00        Highland Park/Lilac Festival Update            

Mark Quinn, Douglas French, Monroe County Parks

Douglas French introduced himself.  Though new to Park’s Department he has worked for the County at the Board of Elections.  He came aboard last May.  Park Supervisor John Sanchez resigned and went into military.  Brad Hutton is the new Highland Park Supervisor and takes care of day to day activities – cleaning ice on skating rink (which has been great skating this winter); supervises cutting grass, condition of lilacs – has staff of 10 or so depending on the season.  He has been a supervisor at Ontario Beach Park.  

Mark Quinn and Chris Kirkmeyer  at both still at Highland Park – contact Mark Quinn in the future to schedule meetings when indoor meetings can resume.  

Lilac Festival 

 The lilacs are coming along nicely and should be on schedule for a May turn out.  Mark and Douglas cannot yet say what Lilac Festival might look like.  Still in negotiations with vendor.  They will take into account NYS guidelines for public events.

  • No specifics yet to report
  • Jeff Springutt has 3 different proposals perhaps for 3 different weekends.  Lilac Board is in discussions.  Could there be a wine and cheese tent?   Arts?  Music would be too hard to manage to keep within crowd limits.  Talks with County and City Attorneys. Doug has a conference call with the Lilac Board.
  • Neighbors asked if there would be a pre-festival meeting for neighbors as per other years.  Ans: Yes, if we have done it in the past
  • Parking/Crowd controls will be issues this year.

Mark reported on War on Terror Memorial – to be south of the Vietnam Veterans’ Memorial

$250,000 was not approved by NY State.  However, plans moving forward in talks with Adam Bello, Monroe County Executive.  Money will be coming.  Ribbon cutting proposed for 20th anniversary of September 11

  • Mark also reported that though there is NO SLEDDING in Highland Park, there were a lot of young people having fun.
  • The Lamberton Conservatory has been very busy.  They have to keep visitors to a minimum and on busy times have had to turn people away.  Best to visit during the week days.  300 people visited Sunday, March 4.  The new show, BULBS, goes in on March 26 – always popular.  
  • ice rink was great this year
  • Mark answered question about Adventure Zone – the tee-pee shaped structure will be re-built, the willows around the edge are growing up nicely.  Log(s) in parking lot are part of staging area for a new Adventure Zone for Northhampton Park. 

6:00-6:15        Rochester Housing Auth. Bond St. Redevelopment     

Jim Senger, Rochester Housing Authority Project Manager

Jim showed slides of current public housing structure and what it will look like after re-development.  The grouping will have peaked roofs and will have front porches.  The goal is for Public Housing to blend in with the neighborhood. It is currently a 5 unit row.  They are currently on 4th meeting with residents and neighbors and neighborhood groups to gather input.  

  • 4×4 South Wedge Planning Committee – Nov.13, 2020 met neighbors at Neighbor Works conference room.  Took thoughts and ideas and tried to incorporate them into a design. 
  • End product looks like 4 attached houses, actually an integrated row house with gable roofs, period windows and front porches.  One other existing structure will become a duplex.
  • 2 to 3 bedroom units will be accessible.  Gable roofs do not add living space. 
  • Question:  Will it be offered to the same residents?   Answer:  The current residents have Right Of First Return.  The 2 residents who have handicapped lifts on Bond Street could choose to go into the new accessible unit.  
  • The plan is reducing the number of units from 10 to 8 to make the theme work. 
  • Time table – hope to break ground this year.  Need approval from HUD, hopefully by summer, 2021.  90% of the design is ready. 
  • Code requires no more than 50% of lot for asphalt.  Parking to be expanded to 12 spaces from 9 originally.  They will need variance for lot coverage and driveway width.  It needs to be 22 feet and they are asking for 18 feet.  Drainage will be well designed.  
  • Zoning Board for variance request is March 18.  
  • 255 Hamilton Street will stay as it is for now. 
  • Jim would like to be invited to another meeting. 
  • Questions about RAD conversions (Rental Assistance Demonstration) Section 8 – Privately run.  This project is not RAD and do not expect this property to be a RAD.  

6:15-6:30       City Council Update     Council members Mary Lupien 

  • These are tense times.  City Council and Administration are looking at Executive Order 203 – Police Department reform.  
  • The group met with City of Rochester government.  Draft plan.  Initial comment period ended on March 4.  
  • Revisions to be shared March 15.  Council will hold two public sessions.  
  • There are many recommendations.  So far – no solid deadlines. 
  • Wayne Harris – Co-chair on policing RASE commission on race.  
  • survey was put out by administration.  Some feedback felt it was leading and biased.  Comments were used – comments were looked at carefully and categorized. 

The Governor’s orders state that meetings should be public, there were questions about the meetings that developed the recommendations.

  • Bottom Line – Community wants safety – How is safety accomplished?   As policing is re-imagined can jobs like traffic enforcement be off-loaded to a division not necessarily police?

Two Public Forums – March 17 and March 18, 5:30 – 7:30. Question: Is it a Zoom?  It is open for public dialogue?
 This is info provided by Mary Lupien about the public input dates for the public to respond to Council’s revisions to the policing reform plan.

  • Fri., 3/12Press Release created for Council’s Public Forum (Speak to Council set up)to notify public of purpose/options to submit comments process on Exec Order 203 and of date/time         Council has received the final draft of Exec Order 203 report with the public’s comments for additional review and additional public comment – legislation will be posted on Council website
  • Mon., 3/15Council Work Session (1), 4:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
  • Wed., 3/17, Council’s Public Forum (1), 5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. (compile comments on spreadsheet & distribute to Council by end of day on Fri., 3/19)
  • Thurs., 3/18Council’s Public Forum (2), 5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. (compile comments on spreadsheet & distribute to Council by end of day on Fri., 3/19)
  • Update – Goodman Sub-station – project as proposed will not go forward.  It was not clear if the proposal would meet the needs of the community.  
  • Money re-appropriated, 143 million from Federal Government to county.  
  • Mayor wants input about budget

6:30-6:40        Neighborhood Service Centers reports     

                        Kelvin Knight and James Demps III 

Erica Hernadez was hired as the new assistant administrator, joined a week ago Monday at South East Neighborhood Service Center.  

  • Rehab grants for those eligible available
  • Emergency funds available for failed hot water heaters and furnaces if completely no-functioning. 
  • There is no current information about the Annual Clean Sweep – perhaps not happening.
  • Erica Hernandez introduced herself – was 9 years with City of Rochester Department of Recreation and Youth Services; also worked on adult education and NE business development.  Now with Neighborhood Service Center

151 Mt Hope-

-Discussed 151 Mt. Hope Ave.  The city is proposing to sell the property to a private developer. had hoped it was to be an enhancement to Gateway Park.  

-Dock is going in but no parking or other amenities to support it.

-East river re-development – Roc the Riverway – (recreational uses planned 

but sparse plans for parking!)

6:40-6:50    350 Benton /South Clinton Environmental Remediation      

Judy Lee Hay, Swillburg   Site No.828103

  • Brownfield behind Salvatore’s Pizza, was the site of Diaburg Distributing a dry cleaners and a house at 350 Benton Street. The site was identified by the State as a brown field in need of remediation due to contamination. The State has done work, 1st phase Soil Vapor Extraction System –was installed to address potential indoor air contamination associated with soil vapor at the dry cleaners and 350 Benton. 
  • Phase two: took down dry cleaner bldg. and the house and removed 370 cu. ft. of contaminated soil. They installed a Multi-Phase Extraction system to treat contaminated soil and groundwater..  They also worked with the house next door to install s sub-slab depressurization system to address potential indoor air contamination of volatile organic compounds. They attempted to test ground water and air quality in 2011 and 2012.  At the time, people did not let them in to surrounding houses. 
  • Looking for comments by March 29  
  • Last chance to speak to remaining concerns
  • http://www.dec.ny.gov/data/DecDoc/828103

6:50-7:00        Community Sharing – Bruce Mellen

  • South Avenue and Elmwood – Community stakeholders meeting took place regarding the proposed design of the construction
  • HUD Action Plan – looking for feedback 
  • South Wedge Food Ministry is looking for another space, 3,000 to 4,000 sq. ft.  with a loading dock. They have outgrown their current space.  Contact: Katie Jo Suddaby <katiejosuddaby@gmail.com>

NOVEMBER 9, 2020 MEETING MINUTES

Monday November 9, 2020 

Via Zoom 

Facilitator: Lisa Reagan

Minutes: Monica McCullough


Crime Prevention Reports                                                                                   RPD

SE/Goodman Section, Brian Cannon

Most crimes come from car beat

14 larcenies, more than half were car break-ins without force

2 aggravated assault, one was only menacing (threatened with weapon, no injury) 800 S. Clinton block; the other was reported at Highland Hospital as nearest address (not location of incident), uncooperative victim who had been stabbed with scissors 

3 burglaries

1 armed robbery – victim and subject associates; suspect was arrested two days later

Question about sexual assault on Upper Monroe on social media; on November 4th at 9:25 pm, on Rosedale, there was a forceable touching case; currently under investigation

Officer Cannon introduced Officer Abrams who is interested in Crime Prevention Officer position and who wanted to attend the meeting. 

Genesee Section, Officer Demaria

Only one major incident – happened near UR Campus, individual on October 23rd, 10:08 pm, person walking alone on Intercampus Drive, passing a footbridge when victim was accosted by an individual in a ski mask after tripping; UR security drove by and suspect ran away; no injury and incident is under investigation

Central Section, Officer Agnone

Four burglaries – business storefronts (smash and grab type), no residential burglaries; have seen more package thefts recently.  One was medical supplies.  Please be conscious of this, especially as we get closer to holiday store.  There were three vehicle larcenies – all unlocked cars.  No violent activities or crimes.  

Q:  Do any officers have any input on the recent increase in very high-speed cars, later models/tinted windows, that are blowing through red light on South Ave/Linden.   

A:  We’re not sure what is causing the increase but have seeing more calls.  Please send more info on dates/times/locations so we can try to increase enforcement.  

Q:  Another area with very high-speed cars, all hours of the day, is on Mt. Hope by Ford Street. 

C: Also at corner of Highland and Mt. Hope is seeing very high speed cars, not observing red lights.  

C:  Thank you for catching the porch thief on Mt. Vernon – it was a big effort.  

Lt. Wilson General Update Goodman Section

Promotions were announced recently from Central Section. City will be giving away 10 turkeys per quadrant this holiday season, so they are looking for families in need.  Reach out to anyone at SE NSC if you have a family to recommend.  

City Council Issues                         Councilmember Mary Lupien & Councilmember LaShay Harris

Lupien reported: Meeting tonight on PAB, Executive Director.  Mayor’s office has implemented a virtual community update; this can be found online at https://www.cityofrochester.gov/PAB/.  City Council is still looking at legislation related to police and mental health responses.  This is still in process.  The City of Rochester will have a different diversion method than the County.  

Recent updates from City: Skate park opened recently; there was a pedestrian safety action plan meeting; City completed police survey, response rate was very high and there were a lot of comments submitted – data is available online on City website.

Q:  Any idea what City is thinking given there has been no additional CARES funding provided, in terms of budget? 

A:  Departments are just thinking about budgets for 2021; hope is that given the new President, aid may be more likely.  Councilmember Evans has been expressing concerns about 2021 budget and these conversations are ongoing.  

Q:  Will Council delay vote on PAB ED?

A:  They need to decide either way, because according to Charter, they must make a decision within 30 days.  

Q:  Want to discuss PAB issue?

A:  Director wrote a memo related to PAB independence; this has created some disagreement with City Council.  The Director is acting on behalf of the PAB, not acting independently. Ultimately the issue is level of PAB independence, which is the larger issue.  

Councilmember Harris – provided a written report, read by Lisa Regan:

Please convey my sincerest apologies for missing this meeting since I have another meeting that was scheduled concurrently by administration.  Please accept the following report in my absence.  Thank you for the invitation to participate in you meetings as you your City Council rep for the South District. Updates for this month are as follows: 

Confirmation pending for the Executive Director placement for the Police Accountability Board.   City Council will vote at the November 10, 2020 City Council Meeting.   Conor Dwyer Reynolds is the candidate for consideration. 

City Council recently cut the ribbon for the Roc City Skate Park located at South and Woodbury near the Susan B. Anthony and Frederick Douglass Bridge.

Notice from the NBD:   Executive Order 202.66, issued on Sept 29, 2020, extends the protections of the Tenant Safe Harbor Act through January 1, 2021.   It also broadens the eviction moratorium to any tenants facing financial hardship due to COVID-19.   For more details please see this link: https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-cuomo-signs-executive-order-extending-moratorium-covid-related-commercial-evictions-0

City Council is working on reforming RPD’s and FACITS response to mental health crisis.  Last month the FACIT unit that was working as a department under the Rochester Police Depart was moved to the Parks and Recreation and Human Services Department.  The plan is to increase the amount of personnel responding and revamp the entire response process.   The City is looking at the KOHOOTS model as an inspiration for a model that can work for Rochester.   Currently there is a committee composed of stakeholders, police, EMS and the mental health community working on an entirely new model that would respond to mental health crisis in our city.  

That concludes my report for this month’s meeting.   

Neighborhood Service Centers                                                           Nancy Johns Price/     

                                                                                                James Demps/John McMahon

The City has Housing Rehabilitation Grants available for the following:

  • Emergency repairs
  • Owner-occupied roof replacement
  • Lead hazard program
  • Landlord reimbursement program (COVID-19)
  • Housing rehab & repair

If you live in the SE Quadrant and would like more information about these programs, contact Kelvin Knight, 585-428-7965, kelvin.knight@cityofrochester.gov, or, Elissa Ball, 585-428-7231, elissa.ball@cityofrochester.gove for more information. 

Monroe County is now in Yellow Zone for Covid – growing cases.  

NSC is dealing with a lot of shrines popping up and litter. 

Skate park is great – but major issues we are seeing already is lack of parking and lack of bathroom facilities.  Very big crowds and conflict between bikes and skateboards.  

C:  Big crowds and lack of masks is concerning, especially as crowds overflow to nearby pedestrian and bike paths. 

Q:  Who do we work with on this – crowds, parking, lavatory, mask enforcement?  Who has authority?

A:  Recreation Department 

C:  Other issue is open containers.  

C:  Importance of maintaining River Walk trail – we don’t want to discourage people who just want to walk through. 

NSC Office is open 9-4 pm, but you must have a mask and have your temp taken to enter.  NSC is open for business.  If any business needs masks and has not received them from the City, they should reach out to NSC.  

South Ave./Elmwood Reconstruction                                                            Judy Hay

Information about the South Ave. & Elmwood Street reconstruction project can be found at https://www.cityofrochester.gov/SouthAndElmwood/

  • Construction Elmwood to Highland
  • Mt. Hope East to South Avenue
  • Full depth reconstruction, new curbs, sidewalks, water main, landscaping
  • Streetscape upgrades
  • Reservoir-modified intersection to eliminate skewed angle and reduce pedestrian crossing
  • Concerns raised about bike lanes and access
  • Cook Street-entrance reduced
  • Uniform new LED lights
  • Tim.Hubbard@cityofrochester.gov 428-7154

NSC Offices are going to convene a stakeholder group including neighborhood association in the area, then will convene two public meetings.                              

Schedule- final design by fall 2021, construction spring 2022 through fall 2023.  

Q:  Has Monroe County Park Dept. been invited to stakeholder group?

A:  Yes

Environmental Services/Snow Removal                                           Nancy Johns Price

PlowTrax can be used to track plowing of your street (https://www.cityofrochester.gov/PlowTrax/).  This is an interactive map and it will give you real time updates.  If you have issues with plowing call 311 to report.  

If there is an issue with a car that hasn’t been moved that is creating an issue with plowing, then call the NSC office.  NSC can’t help with plowing, but if there are other issues on the street impacting snow removal (cars not moved, dead end streets, etc.), then NSC can help. 

Monroe County Update                                                                                  Josh Barouth   

Lisa read the following update from Josh: 

I have to leave early for another meeting. Could you please report on my behalf that we are currently reviewing the Monroe County proposed budget. Most departments are flat (except for child services). The property tax rate is going down about .28 per S1000 assessed value (give or take). The County is also working on putting funds aside to resolve/improve the digital divide as it impacts RCSD (this is a BIG deal).  

State Update                                                                          JW Cook (Bronson Rep)

Bronson is now officially the “Dean” of the Rochester delegation – the most senior member of the delegation.  Happy to have two new Assembly Members and two new democratic Senators.

Bronson introduced Childhood Poverty Reduction Act, which would create an advisory council to come up with a plan.   

Q:  Given that Rochester is considered one of the most aging cities – we are expected to double the number of seniors – what can be done to increase affordable and accessible housing?  

A:  I’m sure he’s working on this.  We met with the tenant advisory group recently about aging in place. 

General

  • If anyone has ideas for topics of interest for future meetings, please let us know.  
  • If anyone is aware of a neighbor who would like to participate in NBN6 meetings but can’t due to technology/access, please let us know and we will try to accommodate.  

October 5, 2020 Meeting Notes

NBN6 Meeting

October 05, 2020

Virtual Meeting on Zoom

Refreshments:    N/A

Moderator: Judy Hay

Nancy Johns-Price Zoom Host

Minutes: Sandy Brewer & Bill Brewer

Welcome by Judy Hay 

I      Crime Prevention Reports – 

A.    Goodman Section – Officer Tony Belliard

1. Ten larcenies – 5 from motor vehicles

2.  Three burglaries – Alpine ST, September 10 – Two houses next to each other had burglaries. One house had wicker chair stolen from it. The other house had candy taken from an open kitchen window. Rear windows broken using chair from back yard.  September 11, Cayuga ST – Entry through door to back yard.

3.  Motor vehicle theft – Gold St.  Keys left in cars that were stolen. No arrests yet.

4.  Stolen Car, Gold ST – Recovered car on Park AVE.

5.  Lt. Rob Wilson has been assigned to the South East Neighborhood Service Center where retired Lt. Frank Alberti served. “ Happy to be here with Nancy Johns-Price. Looking forward to working with the Neighborhood Service Center”. 

B.   Genesee Section – Officer DeMaria

1. Burglary, September 01, 100-200 block of Rossiter RD.

2.  Break-in, September 11 – Single family home.

3.  Car larcenies – 505 Mt. Hope AVE – Cut catalytic converters from Episcopal Senior Living vans. Items stolen from inside cars – credit card, ripped up items.

4.  Package theft, 400 Westfall RD – Package left out with return slip for Fed-Ex, suspect seen on camera.

5. Replacement – Jeff LaFave, new LT, new to Community Affairs, came from the Day Section at Genesee Section, will get him up to speed.

C.   Central Section

1.  No report.

II     Highland Hospital Addition Update – Maureen Malone

A.     Background – The hospital is busy due to the COVID-19. Private rooms are crucial to reach the goal of modernizing rooms to separate patients.

B.     Brenda Michaud – Project update as of October 05

1.   New tower construction design – 80,000 ft2 addition, four levels, construction deliveries to come from South AVE.

2.   Micropiling will start at the end of October 2020. Micropiles are drilled piles, less disruptive to earth. There will be a concrete mixer operating on site from 7 AM to 3:30 PM. Tests cannot find a difference in vibrations when the micropiling work is done and when it stops. Recordings show negligible vibrations.

3.   South Building – Demolish exterior in mid-January 2021.

4.   Bulk of big truck traffic – Late 2020-2022, two-year time span.

5.   Construction site logistics – Primary access from South AVE, Secondary access from Mount Vernon. Construction vehicles are not allowed to go south on Mount Vernon.

6.   Communications – Use Highland Hospital web page and maps, construction timeline. Sign up for e-mail updates. Mike Thompson leads a meeting with neighbors in bi-monthly Zoom meeting with Highland. That group has tackled parking, smoking, vehicle traffic etc. It is open to other neighbors. https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/highland/facilities

7.   Three neighbors from Averill AVE, Linden ST, Hickory ST commented that construction dump trucks travel from Mount Hope Ave through residential streets to South Ave. is a concern. The hospital will communicate with truck drivers and foremen to prevent this.  Contact the contacts on the webpage to let them know of concerns.   

III   Simeon Banister – Rochester Area Community Foundation

A.   Background – The foundation offers Community Grants to strengthen and bring donors together with non-profit groups. RACF works within Monroe County, prioritizes area with two goals – Vitality and Equity. Grants for historical preservation, helping people age in place, reduce poverty, create racial understanding, addressing pernitious history of  segregation. Information on how to access grant opportunities.

B.    The RACF website reveals:

1.     Donors

2.     Homes as resource

3.     Professional advisors – estate planning process

4.     Scholarship program run by the RACF office – 2.5 million dollars for education, students encouraged to take advantage of it for college, mid-career shifts, for community scholarship, flexible, nurses needed.

5.     Grant section on the website – RACF.org, newsletters, grant opportunities. Drop RACF a line, make sure many people see the opportunities, website eligibility. RACF is a 501(c)-3 corporation – they can receive funds to pass on to community groups, expenditure responsibilities.

6.     Go to Grants – Grant Opportunity categories: Aging, Historic preservation, neighborhood/poverty, Education, African American Circle, Young Folks, Development for Persons with Disabilities, Early Childhood Development. Active grants are open and receiving applications. Some have rolling application openings, living donors, 1,300 things under the umbrella, unrestricted donors, donor advised funds and direct dollars.  Special Regional Improvement Grants open February 2021.

7.     Initiatives Portfolio – What have they started? Ex. summer program, early childhood, Quad A for Kids.

C.    Race and Ethnicity Resources – ACT Rochester data collection to help community initiatives with data

1.       Data about Rochester: Data about Real Estate, Community Vitality, Age demographics in Rochester

2.       Data behind the charts: How are students doing in Grade 8?, Data from NY State Community of Education, Poverty – Hard facts update – Race and Economy in Rochester, take a look at Section 7.

3.    How we can be successful together.   Remember why we do this. Difficult times – pull together

a.     Reflection – Sandy Brewer remembered seeing Simeon as a child with his mother, Iris, asking questions at a church community meeting of community speakers discussing the new Rochester City School District Values Policy in the 1990’s. He already understood the importance of asking questions

b.     Judy Bennett – City Landmark needs? Ask for what you need: ex. invitation grant, response grant, application in June for invitation grant

D.   Community Grant

1.       Public Banking – Keeping public dollars in the community. This works in the city and stimulates the local economy.

2.       Concerns – Rochester City School District cost of special education, assignment of children and conditions. Lead ingestion, special education, root of the problem, need to abate lead contamination. Direct connection with what we see and challenges to make systems more effective.

E.    Aging in Place

1.         Elderly persons remaining in their homes longer.  Project Phoenix

2.         Facing major repairs – Young people are trained to do home repairs so older people can stay in their homes – run by Elizabeth McDade

F.    Rochester Energy Efficiency & Weatherization Partnership– RENEW 

   1.   Invest funds to knit together programs from Neighborworks first time home buyer program, Pathstone program, Action for a Better Community – Leverage dollars for windows (ABC paid for windows), train young people to work on projects.  Coordination rather than competition.

G.    Neighborgood Grant -neighbors working together and building cohesion over 30 years. Resident led and resident engaged action.

H.  Five Star Bank – Progress in Action – $10,000 for grants. Groups do not have to be 501(c)-3 corporations for neighborhood funds. Race, gender, equity are important factors.

I.   New opportunities working with Monroe County – Aging Alliance

J.   Currently, 82% of students doing on-line learning for RCSD.

P.    Rochester area population – 65% under age 39.  Partnership with City Department of Human Services (recently changed from Rec. and Youth Services)

Q.   Support for Home Ownership and community stability

R.    Simeon believes in using the Bully Pulpit 

IV   SE Neighborhood Service Center – Nancy Johns-Price

Working on rehab grants  — Concern expressed about neighbor’s home. Talk to inspectors about vacant property, have neighbors write a letter.

V     SW Neighborhood Service Center – James Demps, III was in another meeting

VI     Other Reports: Councilperson Lupien – City Council working on change of newly renamed Dept. Human Services, FACIT team mobile crisis unit, 911 response, proposal to hire DC firm to review police for $250K; County rep. Joshua Barouth – expecting to get the budget soon, and difficult decisions will have to be made; for Assemblyperson Bronson – Bronson head of NYS Aging Committee and concerned with aging in place; co-sponsoring public banking law, Daniel’s Law — seeking input; Bruce Mellon – UMHNA  South Ave./Elmwood Ave Improvement Project public Zoom meeting October 20th. 

VII    Future Meetings

A.    Next NBN6 Meeting – 2nd Monday in November 2020, November 09, 2020, On Zoom at 5:30 PM 

Respectfully Submitted,

       Sandy Brewer

       Bill Brewer

NBN6 Meeting Notes September 14,2020

NBN6 Meeting

September 14, 2020

Virtual Meeting on Zoom 

Moderator: Lisa Reagan

Nancy Johns-Price Zoom Host

Minutes: Sandy Brewer & Bill Brewer

 Welcome by Lisa Reagan

I      Crime Prevention Reports – 

A.    Goodman Section – Officer Canon

1. Major increase in activity due to disruptive protests

2.  Vehicle larcenies – unlocked cars, if you leave the car unlocked, remove items

3.  Alpine ST – Two houses next to each other had burglaries. One house had wicker chair stolen from enclosed porch. The other house had candy taken from an open window. The officer said the open window enabled a “crime of opportunity.”  Resident questioned whether the basement was entered as reported on Nextdoor.  No report indicating that.  

4.  Accident at Gregory ST and South AVE – Candlelight vigil for deceased motorcyclist, a photo of the victim posted on the clock tower. This vigil will end and area be cleaned up by Sunday, September 18.

B.   Central Section – LT Wilson

1. Burglary on Cypress ST – Middle of the night, entry through unlocked back door, lights were on, with windows open while resident played video games. Console stolen.

2.  Larcenies in Wedge Point.

C.   Genesee Section Lt. Wilson

1.  Homicide in Genesee Valley Park – Male shot

2.  Two burglaries – bike stolen during day ($2,000 bike), Westfall RD, 10-12 PM; single family home, stole money.

3.  Mount Hope AVE – Shoplifting

D.   Question about COVID-19 – There were four cases in the Rochester Police Department after a star member had visited Florida. 

II     Plans for St. John’s Home to add outdoor dining patio area for residents

A.     Shirah Cahill, Design Firm SWBR for St. John’s Home project, gave the presentation.

B.     Elders are important. St. John’s Home provides skilled nursing care.

C.     Interior and exterior plans shown to provide outdoor space for residents and visiting.

D.     Outdoor time of 20 minutes provides health benefits: patients sleep better, eating together provides social interaction. Smaller, more home-like environment with the outdoor café. Small garden, planting and fencing to separate dining area from outside traffic. Warmer lighting, tables and chairs under umbrellas and fabric awnings.

E.      Question – Will there be a wheelchair path to Highland Park? Several attendees supported this idea for residents to be pushed by family to attractive park areas from St. John’s Home.

III   General discussion of the impact of COVID-19 and the death of Mr. Prude concerning effects on neighborhoods

  1. Discussion of changes in neighborhoods – In some areas, 75% of residents are now renters in previously private homes; concern about the effect on stability, loss of economic and racial diversity, gentrification effect, rent leaving the City.
  1. Bruce Mellen – Mount Hope – 60% of house rentals by Mom & Pop owners. Students residents who are away affect the Census results. Neighborhood group not meeting at church room due to COVID-19 restrictions.

C.    Sandy Brewer- Azalea – Our neighborhood is seeing sales with young families with babies moving to the Azalea Neighborhood or home improvement projects.

D.   Judy Hay – The Mayor wants to reach out about the importance of the Census. The death of Daniel Prude raised the question “Is policing a community health issue”? The Black Lives matter movement is calling for a change in policing regarding mental health issues. The community needs to listen to the emergence of the new Black leaders regarding their concerns and support changes in policing. Over the years NBN6 has known many officers and benefited from their relationship to our neighborhoods.

E.    Update Harry Bronson: J.W Cook reported for Harry Bronson, Budget legislators

1.   RE: Daniel Prude – Walk.

2.   Examples in Eugene Oregon of Mental Health Professionals working with police and EMT workers. 911 Cahoots – of Cahoots calls, only needed police backup 1,000 times. Lives saved.

3.   Mental Health funding from the state is a key issue before the legislature.

4.   Decisions – Short term reactive or Long term reactive

Discussion – Impulse to cut police budget as militarization of equipment is a concern. The budget cut the Police Academy in half, loss of one of the most diverse classes. Academy teachers who had been Crime Prevention Officers working proactively for our community lost to the effort to teach incoming officers. Keep dialogue as to what is important and not make unproductive face-saving changes.

6.   Mom & Pop rentals distressed due to renters not able to pay rent, selling to larger institutional firms. With low-intensity rentals people knew neighbors. Need to support first-time homeowners to help keep diverse residential neighborhoods.

F.      Another neighbor – Distressed due to concern for Mr. Prude’s life while she had a working relationship for 26 years with police who are good people.

G.     Concern – Need for resources to assist petitions of people abused in prison and on the street.

H.     Concern – Is policing a community health issue? We need to hear other voices from all sides. 

IV   SE and SW Neighborhood Service Centers

A.    SW Service Center – James Demps III

1.   Shared concerns  raised by protesters– has lived the problems; issues of refugees, 

2.   Civil disobedience in areas, Jefferson AVE – challenge for City crews trying to keep areas clean due to large amounts of trash.

3.   Service Center News – Two new hires, landlord grants and issues for roofs, repairs.

4.   James spoke of concerns for youth today.

B.    SE Service Center – Nancy Johns-Price

1.   Census – Monroe AVE event to fill it out. Last week in September there will be an opportunity to fill out the Census from 9 AM – 4 PM at the Service Center.

2.   Crime prevention Officer could not be here due to a double shift, as all crime prevention officers have, responding to protests.

3.   Mayor’s leadership training – One more applicant needed.

4.   Naming a Police Lt. for the Service Center taking longer as the City would have to remove someone from another position for the Service Center assignment.

5.   Lt. Wilson and Lisa Ball are helping out.

C.   Late-Breaking News from Mayor Warren at 6:00 PM

1.     The Chief of Police is removed today.

2.     Two other public officials suspended for 30 days – Communications Director and Corporation Consul. 

V      Future Events

A.     Next NBN6 Meeting –  REVISED – DUE TO PUBLIC HOLIDAY< NEW MTG DATE First Monday, OCT 5.

Respectfully Submitted,

       Sandy Brewer

       Bill Brewer

NBN 6 meeting –October 5, 202

Zoom Meeting May 4, 2020

MAY 4, 2020 Agenda by Zoom Meeting

5:30 to 5:50 p.m. RPD Update

5:50 to 6:15 p.m. Jill Wiedrick –Director of Zoning

6:15 to 6:30 p.m. Mary Lupien-city council representative

6:30 to 6:45 p.m. SWNSC & SENSC

6:45 to 7 p.m. Community Update

Any questions, please contact Judy at judylhay.jh@gmail.com

Join Zoom Meeting
https://cityofrochester.zoom.us/j/3424293518

Meeting ID: 342 429 3518
One tap mobile
+16465588656,,3424293518# US (New York)
+13126266799,,3424293518# US (Chicago)

Dial by your location
+1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US
+1 301 715 8592 US
Meeting ID: 342 429 3518
Find your local number: https://cityofrochester.zoom.us/u/abq5ETjsyZ

Join by Skype for Business
https://cityofrochester.zoom.us/skype/3424293518



Have you filled out your CENSUS? Please make sure you do and ask neighbors and those you have contact with over the phone or e-mail if they have completed their Census.